Saturday, August 21, 2010

we brake for cake

Bryan came by the bakery this week to help me work on a tasty gift for my mom's birthday. 
The inspiration (and not just cake-wise): her biking. 

I usually learn something new each week at the bakery from Mamie--usually a cool trick with fondant, rice krispy treats or dowels. But this week I learned that one is not supposed to use the color blue on a cake because it has been found to be unappetizing. But my mom's favorite color is blue (and art is about breaking some rules, right?) so I used it anyway.


practice, patience and a steady hand. repeat!

While experimenting, Bryan found that he is a lefty when writing with icing--go figure!



the finished product:)

for my first batter to box bakery cake, i thought it didn't look too shabby. and more importantly, it tasted great. flavor of choice you ask? guiness and devil's food with cream cheese:)

it was also exciting to go and eat at our new favorite italian resto (and one that my parents are known to bike to). i thought i'd sworn off eating italian out because of the huge factory-produced portions and lack of great ingredients used well (because americans won't notice under all the noodles, i'm sure), but every dining experience with Giovanni in Marietta is superb. this place is the real deal.

Happy birthday week to my beautiful mother!

3 snaps:

Sarah said...

Great Job! Looks delish!

lauren elizabeth said...

My mom said this cake was so good! I'm only sad I wasn't there to partake. My parents have been biking with yours to Giovanni's a lot recently, I'm jealous!

Kay said...

Erin!
Your really do put the icing on the cake in every way!Thank you so much! You make birthdays so special and every day fun! This getting"older" thing is great!

PS I think I am setting the record for the longest birthday!

Love you!

Mommie

Post a Comment